Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PWL hacking 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickG

Technical User
Jan 7, 2000
GB
I am a systems manager in a large school. I have had an incident on an NT4 Network/Windows 95 client, where a student hacked the system to obtain the Admins password by using HackPWL which he downloaded from the internet. I have since found several other PWL hacking tools that could be used to do this. Is there any way I can prevent access to the PWL files without deleting them from System.ini everytime I log on to a system on the network? <p>Mick Gallagher<br><a href=mailto:mick_gallagher@yahoo.co.uk>mick_gallagher@yahoo.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hi Mick,<br>
<br>
My suggestion would be to use a policy to prevent the program being run. I can do this in NT wkst which works great for locking down PC's used by guests. <br>
<br>
Just my 2 cents :)

Good suggestion MissyEd. Might I also suggest you take a look at the Password Policy Enforcer™ program? It allows many differant policies and procedures to help prevent the situation described above. It can be found at:<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= FreeDSL Service</a><br>[To a get FREE DSL Modem WITH FREE DSL Unlimited Internet Connection click the above link :)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back