Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PWE clearing phantom users

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
Pursuant to a couple of active threads, I have had mixed messages regarding weather or not signing into PWE as SUPERVISOR will clear phantom users. So I decided to test it.

I cannot get PWE to clear phantom users in this manner. Does anyone else have a different result from mine?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

I'm confused by this as well - I'm not crazy, I know I've seen it clear the temp files (it displays the name as it clears it), but I cannot remember the circumstances, or version that this worked on. Maybe it's functionality that was in place at some point, and has now been removed (I know it's hard to believe that Exact would do such a thing..), or maybe it's database specific?

Peter Shirley

I know I have seen the verbage that scrolls across the PWE flash screen say "checking temporary user files" or words to that effect. However this is moving so fast I cannot read it on my machine.

Can anyone else see this?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

I am fairly certain that it only runs that process if all of the licensed users are in use. PWE will search for an available user record, delete the phantoms, and allow a user to log in. SQL explorer will only allow a user to log in if there are users available at the end of the list not within the list.

Jonathan Nelson
Business Systems Analyst
Horizon Group, USA

On 7.6.100a psql, pwe does check & clean up phantom users if you have reached your license ceiling with tmp files in the users folder. It says something about checking for dead files & you can see it scroll through each numbered file as it goes. If all are legit, it will tell you that you are out of licenses.

Maybe it doesn't do it on later versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back