Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PVST+ & Rapid PVST+ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapupu

Technical User
Sep 4, 2010
US
Ok is it safe to say that there are 2 type of loop avoidance for layer 2 switch. They are STP & RSTP:
STP can use PVST or PVST+ to prevent loop
RSTP on the other hand can use PVST+ OR Rapid PVST+
Am I right? Any input would is appreciated.

There is only one loop avoidance algorithm used by all switches: STP. There are 3 different implementations of the protocol found on Cisco switches: PVST+, Rapid PVST+, and MST. PVST+ is an enhancement of the base STP, which accounts for more than one VLAN, hence "Per-VLAN Spanning Tree". By forming Spanning Trees for each VLAN, you can set up different root bridges for each VLAN and optimize your switching topology based on the traffic patterns you expect. Rapid PVST+ enhances this further by allowing loop detection to occur faster, thus allowing ports to go into forwarding mode more quickly. Multiple Spanning Tree (MST) allows you to connect different switching topologies together, while continuing to prevent loops.

If you are 100% Cisco for your switching, I would suggest using Rapid PVST+ because it will allow your links to come up significantly faster (about 5 seconds) than the default (about 30 seconds).

PSC
[—] CCNP (R&S/Wireless) [•] CCSP [•] MCITP: Enterprise Admin [•] MCSE [—]

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back