Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PVC Cat5 price per drop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylerh

Technical User
Feb 8, 2012
US
I am trying to estimate the cost of cabling in our new office so we know what to expect. It will consist of 20 drops and the average length will be 100' or less. It is new construction and the cable will need to be routed in J hooks and terminated and labeled at both ends. Electricians have already installed conduit in walls and have stubbed it above ceiling. We are planning on running PVC Cat 5e cable and will need a patch panel and a 2' rack. The location is Texas.

Thanks

You may find that laws are in place that will make you install Plenum cable in an office environment such as you briefly describe. Some locations may allow you to install PVC if it is in Conduit the whole way, but they are getting fewer and farther between. If these laws are in place and you do install PVC, fire marshalls can shut you down when they inspect.

trvlr1 the above ceiling air space is not plenum rated and will have separate air return ducts. Would running PVC cable still pose a fire/health risk?

Call some competent cabling contraction that can CERTIFY the cables not just test for continuity and see how it prices out. Price can vary by region.

I'm finding fewer and fewer new jobs (both new construction and retrofits) where the area above the tiles is a plenum. But you need to check since using low smoke cable will raise the cost.

Just a guess but $3k - $5k should get you a decent job done by a competent installer. Don't cheap out.

i am sure you can get some run of the mill guy who is going to quote you less than what wires is saying.

i cant stress enough DONT DO IT

i have seen this time and time again, hiring some guy to do it cheap. Cables will not get labeled making installing and moving phones and computer a nightmare. Also when half the stuff does not work it will cost you thousands in labor to get the terminations fixed.
Another thing is quality of work, you dont want your IT closet looking like a birds nest. The cheap guys tend to leave you with something close.

We would probably bid around $3500-$4000 on this job but it does very munch depend on the area

2929f37233421667a443db394e5b082679b1794f1db1e72014bbdc5ffe9c39826g.jpg

It's best to start out right. It will get crufty over time.

It also depends on if each of the 20 are going to completely different areas or if they may be dual drops. but like everyone here I would look anywhere from 2,500 to 4,000.

Let me think. Material costs: Define 20 runs. Is that 20 voice drops and 20 data drops, or 20 total runs? One-hundred feet of cable, a jack and a faceplate retails for about $20. The patch panel for 24 ports with wall mount rack (ICC or Mid Atlantic 15u) about $160, and the J-hooks about $3 each, used every 4 feet.

So, it looks, in round numbers, like you have about $800 worth of material at retail, and somewhere around 20 hours of labor. Even if your 20 hours turns to 30, you're probably looking at $2-3K for a budget. I'd put in a 48 port patch panel for an additional $100 or so, but you didn't give enough information to go on.

LkEErie

If you have a good supplier that sells brand name stuff at a discount then you can calculate $100.00 per drop assuming the pathways are in place. Then add 500.00 on the the cost for patch panel(s) and rack. So for you I'd estimate $2500.00. But that's if you do not buy from Lowes or Home Depot who sell LV materials but at ridiculous prices. Don't go cheap and buy that cheap Chinese crap. It will be a headache you do not need. Go name brand. I only buy Ortronics patch panels and I use Superior Essex, Cooper or Berk-Tek cable. You can use CMR at your site unless the local building code specs plenum Some do. Local codes will override the NEC every time. Check first as you do not want the final inspector to tell you to rip out the cable and start again. Also, if you do not have a contractor license you could get fined if somebody turns you in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back