Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PV132 LTO2 and BE9 4 winsvr spanning tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickclark

MIS
Dec 5, 2002
GB
Dear all,
setup: win2k sp4. BE9 fully updated. mdac (latest), SCSI firmware (latest). using BE9 drivers for tape drive.
All media has been placed in scratch and all jobs submitted have overwrite enabled, ie the media is writable
tape capacity uncompressed = 186 Gb, any jobs submitted <186 Gb run fine, have backed up and restored 160 Gb ok, write speed = 1.8 Gb/Sec, job time - 1hr 22min. If i submit a job >186 Gb then approx 120 Gb write to tape in nearly a day and fails with 'the semaphore timeout period has expired'. Write speed decreases from 1.8 Gb/sec to nothing , noticable decrease after first 100Gb.

Also, on looking at the tapes stats i noticed that it reported no read or writes, and mounts = 1160. (note: This is brand new media and kit .. god help me :0). The BE9 job log states that 122Gb has been written.
One of them is lying me thinks :0)

Has anyone got any ideas on how to make the device backup >186 Gb ?

Thanks

Nick

Is the tape drive an autoloader that should send in the next tape when the first tape is filled, or is it a single-tape drive where you need to manually feed the next tape if it needs one?

I started getting the 'the semaphore timeout period has expired' error when the client installed software that made constant reads to the database. By default Backup Exec requires 5 seconds of &quot;quiet time&quot; on the disk drive in order to start backing it up. It waits awhile, and when it doesn't get the quiet time it just moves on to the next backup set and gives that semaphore error, failing the backup. I followed Veritas's technote on how to change the registry to make it only require 3 seconds and now my backups are running fine.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back