Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Puzzler

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwinGene

Programmer
Sep 2, 2003
US
This is not a critical production question, only something I have found that I can't figure out.

I have this query that returns 103,038 records:

Select
a.RecId
From
dbo.TableA a
Left Outer Join dbo.TableB b
on b.TableA_RecId = a.RecId
Where
b.RecId is NULL

If I modify this query by adding a filter in the right join table, the query now returns 103,353 records:

Select
a.RecId
From
dbo.TableA a
Left Outer Join dbo.TableB b
on b.TableA_RecId = a.RecId
and
b.Flag = 'Y'
Where
b.RecId is NULL

Since it's a Left Outer Join, and I'm only selecting those records where the right table returns a NULL record (b.RecId is a non-nullable identity column) shouldn't both queries return the same number of records? But, where clause aside, shouldn't a query with a filter return the same or lesser amount of records? Maybe having the filter in the join causes some interaction that I don't understand.

Is there a guru around who can tell me what is happening, here?

What does
Code:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tablea
   WHERE recid NOT IN(SELECT TableA_RecId FROM tableb);
return?

No these should return different results.

In the first query you are pulling all records in A but not in B.

In the second query you are pulling all records in A but not in B, and all records in A but in B, and have B.Flag <> 'Y'

This should give you the same result as the first query.
Code:
select a.RecID
from TableA a
where Tablea.RecID not in (select TableB.RecID from TableB)

This should give you the same result as the second query.
Code:
select a .recID
from TAbleA a
where Tablea.RecID not in (select TableB.RecID from TableB)
or TableA.RecID in (select TableB.RecID from TableB where Flag <> 'Y')

While my code is less effecient, it should make it a little easier to read.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(Not quite so old any more.)

In the second query you are pulling all records in A but not in B, and all records in A but in B, and have B.Flag <> 'Y'
actually, the second query attempts to connect A rows to B rows which have a 'Y', and returns only those rows of A which don't have a matching B with a 'Y'

but those rows of A might have other matching rows of B, ones without a 'Y', and hence the second query could easily return more rows than the first, which returns only As which have no matching B

easy, really :)

rudy | r937.com | Ask the Expert | Premium SQL Articles
SQL for Database-Driven Web Sites (next course starts July 10 2005)

OK. I can see now that I was so used to using queries to return matched records that I was thinking of this query in the same way. But it isn't the same, its the opposite. This query is returning unmatched records. So if I insert a filter which decreases the number of matched records, the number of unmatched records must, obviously (since the total number of records in TableA remains static), increase.

(embarrassed grin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back