Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Puzzeling Unbound dns server behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbur

Technical User
May 29, 2005
US
I have the latest instance of unbound (Version 1.9.4) running as a DNS server. It is configured as a recursive server to resolve addresses on the Internet at large and also to serve forward and reverse resolutions of my lan addresses and to do so without NSD. It generally works well, but I am seeing strange behaviour on the lan resolutions. If I call for an address simply by unqualified hostname, it works just fine. But if I call for a qualified domain name (ie. host.thingy.lan or host.thingy) it tries to resolve it recursively and, obviously, fails. I have tried several ways to define my private network such as with or without a final '.', fully qualified, partly qualified, and so on. All of them work just as expected under bind, but none work under unbound. Further no matter how I identify the local network, it always reverse resolves to hostname.thingy.lan. with the trailing dot.

I am out of ideas and Google searches and man pages have provided no help. Anyone have other ideas about what is causing this and/or what to do about it?

Thanks,
Orbur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back