Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PuTTY SUNT emulation - edit last command 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3voltas

Technical User
Nov 12, 2013
PT
Hello there.
Since a couple of years ago I have completely moved over to Linux for my daily driver.
For the occasional quick change/display I use PuTTY for Linux (with SUNT) which gives me more emulation freedom compared to SSH.
But when I need to go fully hands on a big task I am usually forced to open ASA in Wine. That's because I am usually forced to repeat the last commands changing the station/port.
For instance, change the name of 10 stations starting at 5000.
change station 5000
change station 5001
etc

For doing that I just type capital R and I shift-TAB to delete the station number but still keep the 'change station' ready to be used.
It just so happens that I can do that with ASA but I can't do that with PuTTY with SUNT emulation. When in SUNT, if I hit Shift-TAB it's as if I would press the Enter key instead of clearing the last portion of the last command.

Is there any secret sauce to this that I am missing here?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Hi there.
Disappointed. No one else using SAT through PuTTY (Windows/Linux) who knows how to properly edit a command issued using the (R)epeat function?
Or there are others using PuTTY for SAT but they just don't know the answer?
Or maybe my description of the issue was not clear?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

I log into systems on a daily basis and run SAT in a sun terminal window using Putty and Tiny Term. But I've never found a way to repeat commands very nicely. Tiny Term has ways to macro commands but it's an old program that was a licensed product and now has very very limited support.

Most decent systems engineers that I know run SAT from the CLI quite often. Never heard of anyone having this issue before.

I tried a bunch of emulation modes in putty but if I find one that allows shift+tab to work then nothing else works such as canceling a command.

TuTTy with 513 works

Use Terminal -> Keyboard -> AT&T 513
Function keys and keypad and shift tab works fine

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

45 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 35 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

Hi guys.
I guess I'll have to take a closer look to TuTTY then. It would be great if somehow we could backport TuTTY's code (AT&T 513 emulation) to the regular PuTTY. I'll try to contact the project maintainers to see if this is feasible.
And thank you all for jumping in and trying to help me with this.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back