Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Putting Process Diagram online. Should I use Visio???

Status
Not open for further replies.

eviledna

Programmer
Sep 16, 2005
GB
Hiya,

My dept is implementing a new set of processes and I need to put them on our intranet site. There are several process diagrams and I need to display them on several different pages. The idea is that the user can click on a process box on one page, and it will take them to a specific box on a different page, or open a description of the process in Word etc etc.

I'm thinking about doing this in Visio, creating hyperlinks between the boxes and then saving each diagram as a web page and embedding it in an intranet page. I was wondering if anyone had done anything similar before and how good/bad they found it to use Visio in this way. I may be pessimistic, but I envisage problems with the hyperlinks!
Does anyone have any alternatives I should explore? Maybe an image map?

Thanks a lot!

I suggest you use what ever tool works for you... and then save the document as a PDF. Then edit the PDF (there are tools to do this) and introduce your clickable areas so that people can click from one page of the PDF to another (just like an anchor normally does).

The amount of effort involved in putting processes online as you describe is wasted when they (inevitably) want to change it (and suddenly you find yourself with a HUGE pile of HTML modification just to change a process diagram).

Work should be easy. Host those PDFs on the intranet as regular links... and include a version number clearly on each page of the PDF so that it's easily identifiable should someone print it out and want to refer to it.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Please also read faq222-2244 to see why cross-posting is discouraged in these forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back