Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Putting a W2K3 DL380 G3 Image onto a DL385

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmastro

Technical User
Apr 28, 2006
CA
I have a DL380-G3 W2K3 server with 2 hardware mirrored drives. I pullout one of the drives and put it into a DL385 which has a AMD/64 processor. The G3 has a 5i Controller. The DL385 has a 6i controller. I'm using the latest Array driver that is supposed to be compatible with both Controllers. I have confirmed this with HP Tech support.
It starts to load and during the Windows 2003 splash screen it blue screens on me. I have noticed that it does load 15 or so drivers before the blue screen.
HP Tech support said its because the Controllers are different. I'm thinking that it is able to read the disk and appears to want to boot up.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I don't want to have to rebuild the entire system from bottom up.
Could it be the processor difference thats causing the blue screen and not the controllers.

Any suggestions appreciated,

John

try putting the disk back in the old sys up date the drive and firm ware on that disk to match the scsi controller in the dl385 then try booting.....

Hope that helps

The blue screen occurs because the controllers are different and use different drivers

What you could do is remove one disk from the server
install the 6i driver onto the other disk re-boot and let it blue screen
Put it the server with the 6i controller and see if it loads

you will still have a server build on the other disk that you can put back into the original server

It could also be the processors that is causing the issue as they may use differnt HAL's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back