Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Putting a new IOS in

Status
Not open for further replies.

sport404

MIS
Dec 27, 2004
US
Hey Guys,
Have a Cisco 1800 series router. I have uploaded the new IOS I plan to use, but now there is the new one and the orginal loaded on the router. I want to do a reload but I am assuming I need to delete the old one first. Kinda new at cisco, any help would be great.

Thanks.

If you want to delete old one, first type "show flash" to see what the filename is. Then issue the "delete flash:<oldfilename>" command where <oldfilename> is the full file name of the old IOS.

Alternatively change the running config to make it boot from the new image with the "boot system flash <newfilename>" command where <newfilename> is the full file name of the new IOS

That delete flash command doesn't seem to work. It basically thinks that i want to delete a file called flash. Sure the 1800 series router has that command?

Should I try the copy tftp flash command? Basically I'll I want to do is upgrade the IOS. I thought when I uploaded the new one with the copy tftp flash command it should have asked me to delete the old one but it never did, so now I have both sitting on there

All IOS's use the same commands. They only change based on IOS version.

To delete the old .bin file, use the delete command. You should be in enable mode.

first do a "dir" at the cli prompt. Verify the filename and the location which would be "flash:".

Then "delete flash:<filename" and poof its gone.

If you didn't specify the bootable .bin file in the config - reloading the router at this point will load the new .bin file.

on the router type
sh flash

and post it to the forum

Mauricio
MCP, MCSE, SMS 2.0, DCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE Written

Ok, my bad got it working. So I also brought down the running config that I needed with copy tftp run. Once that was brough down and loaded, is there another command that I need to type to write it into memory so the running config doesn't get lost incase of a reboot or something like that??

Thanks again for all the help!

Guess what that command is "write mem" or if want to be modern and type more letters "copy run start "

or just type "wr" ( without the quotes)

Mauricio
MCP, MCSE, SMS 2.0, DCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE Written

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back