Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

putting a certificate on a site

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghobbes98

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
IE
I have gotten a trusted ca to issue me with a certificate and gone and put that cert up on the site where it is recognised. Now I am trying to secure a certain page when I go to the properties of that page and make it so that it has to be secure there is no problems however when I try and view the page it says that I have to view the page with https which is correct but when I try and view it with https it does not work.
Is there anything that anybody can think of that I have forgotten to do?
Any hints/tips/etc would be greatly accepted
Thanks
G

Is the page on a virtual web server? IF so it will not work. Host Headers are encrypted and IIS cannot use them to decide which (virtual) server to send the page request to. You have to use HTTPS on the default server.

Are you getting any error messages or does it just fail to connect? Actually you can use SSL on a virtual server as long as you assign multiple IP addresses on the network card and assign each virtual site its own ip address.

If each site has its own IP address then you aren't using Host Headers to route page requests to each site. So my point still stands :)

Just pointing out that you CAN use ssl on a virtual server and not just the default site :) But yes you are correct about the host headers.

I know for a 'cert' (forgive me) that the EnTrust cert's will work for any domain on a server that just has one IP address and the domain can be in the host headers section, because that is exactly what we do with our domain. I suspect that that is the case for the other issuers of trusted ca's. The cert is issued to the domain name, not to an IP or a server. In our host header section we have the TLD assigned to the IP address of the server, and the alias 'www' unassigned. In DNS the alias has a CNAME to the TLD. There are other Domains on the same server with their own cert's as well.

Again, you DO NOT need to have an IP address for each domain, SSL's are issued for a domain, and they will work for that domain wherever it may reside. In fact, although your certificate license fobids it, you can actually run a somains cert on more than one machine at the same time if that domain is mirrored somewhere else.

Does that page call anything from out side of that page?
i.e. do you have includes on that page, does it call for images from another directory? if so it is not going to work for you. You have to assign the SSL to a directory and put everything in there that is associated to that page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back