Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pushing VirusScan 8.5 out via Group Policy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molenski

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2002
DE
Hi there,

Am totally new to McAfee and am having a few problems 1 2k3 DC, Epo 4.0 server, 45 XP Clients). Have managed to push out the Agent to a group of clients and then spent sometime trying to install VirusScan 8.5 on the clients using a policy which I couldn't figure out.

I then used the Installation Designer (8.5) to create a .msi file which I'm attempting to push out via Group Policy. This doesn't seem to be working although when 'assigning' it to users it attempts to run on login. I wanted to check that the .msi was OK as a first step. When I double click it from the client, I am getting the error message, 'Please run setup.exe. This allows the proper language strings to be imported into the .msi file' and it bombs out. If I run the setup file created in the same directory McAfee installs fine. Is there a problem with the .msi package or is it something I'm missing? I'm assuming this .exe could be pushed out by a batch file but I'd like to push VS out via GP. Or...(and I'm sure it can be done), what is method for pushing out VS via EPO (4.0).

The above questions may seem a bit novice like...that's 'cos I am!

ps I have read through some documentation but there's a lot of it about and I'd like some first hand info if poss???

Thanks in advance.

Molenski:

SetupVSE.exe loads the appropriate language pack before starting the .msi, as the installer is designed to use the workstation default. I'm sure you noticed that, when you ran VSE850.msi, the buttons in the installer splash were labeled with object labels rather than button functions. You can pass command-line arguments to the .msi from SetupVSE.exe--try a command line SetupVSE /? for the full catalog and syntax.--The Bug Guy

Hi Molenski

Bugguy51 is right.

However i would ask you to re-consider since installing using GPO is not supported by McAfee.

This means that if you come across any issues, McAfee will not provide support and you will be recommended to remove the product and install using a supported method.

Installation through EPO requires a deployment task.

The whole purpose of EPO server and Agent architecture is that the agent regularly communicates with EPO, but only does what EPO tells it to do.

Therefore you must tell the agent to install VSE on the client. This is done through Deployment Tasks.

The agent will then download the setup files from EPO and run them on the client.

But for the agent to download setup files, they must be present in EPO. Therefore you need to download the VSE files and add them into EPO's repository.

This is done in EPO 4.0 under "Software" where you should see the option in the bottom left to "check in a package"

Deployments tasks are created under "Systems" and then "Client Tasks"

Also, click on the help icon "?" in the top right corner of the EPO interface. The help file is very useful but also download the product documentation and search for terms like:

1) Deployment
2) Client Tasks
3) Repository
4) Packages

etc etc

Hope this helps.

McAfeeGeek

Hi McAfee Geek, thanks a lot for the info. We have managed to do what you suggest (after a fashion!) but had problems when we scheduled the Install Viruscan 8.5 task to run on startup. We changed it to run immediately and providing the agent is on the machine, this works fine! Great!!! There does seem to be a delay between adding a machine which has been introduced to the domain and subsequently to Epo (by us) till the agent is pushed out to it. Do you know if this is normal? I'm sure we set this to immediately somewhere but I'm not at the LAN at the min so am not 100% sure. We've also noticed that the scheduled update is at 17:00hrs and would like to change that but couldn't find anything under the default policy; any ideas please? Is this set on the server?

Again, these may seem like bone questions, but to be honest we haven't found the documentation/help that great so your answers are really helping us out!

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back