Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pushing out software updates with Active Directory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegirlofsteel

IS-IT--Management
Mar 3, 2004
US
I have a software manufacturer that updates their client software by just copying a few GUI interfaces to a specific folder on the client computer. How would I set up a way via group policy to copy those files onto their PC's without going to each PC to do so?

I do a similar thing in my current role.

I wrote an xcopy script and applied it as a logon script to a GPO. When a machine is introduced to the domain the script copies the files to the PC.

Hope this helps.

Grant

Yeah no problem.........

I have a .bat file with the following:

\\glw-dc-01\loginscript\robocopy "\\hmnet\hmdata\glwshared\documents\firmtemplates" "C:\firmtemplates" /E /MIR /R:3 /W:3 /SEC

The first part is the location of the robocopy.exe file, \\Glw-dc-01\loginscript is a share on our DC.

The second part of the script is a network share that holds the data for copying.

The third part is the destination of the data in this case the C: drive of the users PC

The final section of the script is switches that can be found on microsofts website.

Im assuming you are familiar with GPO so the final part of this is to setup a GPO with a loginscript pointing to \\servershare\folder\robocopy.bat.

Hope this makes sense.

Grant

Thanks so much!!! This will help! What if the PC on the network is at a Power User Level and cannot install software on their PC's or local drives? It works fine for Win XP but not for Win 2000 computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back