Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pushing out Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

secutanudu

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2004
US
We are trying to automate many processes on our network. We're looking for the best way to push out apps to our users. We are upgrading our network to active directory. What are some software packages that will allow me to package apps and push them to clients? One that is meant to work with AD would be even better. Thanks.

The "packaging" programs would be InstallShield Admin studio

Wise Installer, And a freebee that works with sms is SMS installer (which I prefer)

Installshield AdminStudio SMS addition is free also from MS at:

to actually pushout packages, SMS 2003 would be the way I prefer :) There is other things like Altiris but its really $$$$ and from what I hear the support is terrible. (dont know because I dont use it)

Tim B

Thanks for the response. I am going to download the Admin Studio package. Does this require SMS? Or can I use it with other products as well?

How does SMS work with active directory? Can you deploy software via SMS using active directory groups?

Yes it (SMS 2003) will distribute via groups in AD and yes Admin studio will work without SMS. It converts/repackages exe files into msi files. I don't know however if it can create a msi file scratch without a premade exe. (the full version can) I would think it could...

Whenever I try to run Admin studio it asks for an SMS Server login. If i hit cancel it says i need an SMS server to use admin studio - any ideas?

Ya know... I think your right, I have the full version and I dont need to do that but with the sms version the instructions read you need to do because of the 2003 web console....However I also could have swore it read it will work with 2.0 which doesnt need this (and is setup completely different for the web console...if you even want to use it) so I'll see if I can find the work-around.

I'll let ya know what I find soon!

Great thanks for the help. Are there any standalone software packages that you could recommend for packaging/pushing apps?

It says I need SMS to install the SMS installer - any way to run it without SMS?

Thanks - but weird - i dont even have that reg key in my registry. I can't find any mention of SMS in my registry at all.

Just so you know what I've done so far - i have installed SMS Admin Studio, and I am trying to install SMS Installer. When I run the SMS Installer program, it says that I need SMS in order to install it.

hmmm so.....I'm now going where I shouldn't tread, SMS client makes that directory, so safe to say if you installed a client it would work, with that said the only way to install a client is to have a license to do it.

I guess I never ran into any of these problems because I've always had a sms client on my systems....

SO the only Legit way to do this is to download a eval version of sms 2003 and that will let you install the other items. I also think you can probably get a eval copy of admin studio and see what you think of it.

I'm REAL sorry I seemed to have sent you on a bit of a wild goose chase downloading all this. I never knew/noticed you need a sms client to run this stuff even after using installer way back from the 1.2 days.

My apologies!

Tim Brennan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back