Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pushing for my CCNA - need recommendation and test update

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotbonked

Technical User
Nov 15, 2010
US
Hi All,

I got my CCENT cert last 2008 and would like to push through with my CCNA 1st quarter next year.

May I ask for any suggestion, recommendations or are there new ICND2 or cisco exam version? should I just review for the ICND2 or re-do the whole exam again? I have no idea on how to start again so any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

bonked

Bonked,

Unless you are working in Cisco networking why would you wait 2 years ???????

Cisco does not draw a line and say that NOTHING that you did in ICND1 will be on the ICND2 exam - some things just build on what you already know or should know, but it has been 2+ years!!

I would:

1) Go to Cisco and get the exam blueprint for the ICND2 exam so that you know what is on the exam right now!!!!!

2) Get the Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammel - since it has been 2 years + you really should read the whole thing, if you learned it well in 2008 then that material will just be review. YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW IT ALL IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO WORK IN THIS AREA !!!!!

3) get TONS of HANDS ON practice with 3 Cisco routers and 2 switches, at the very least use an emulator or a very good sim like Packet Tracer that is used in the Cisco Network Academies

4) TAKE THE EXAM - STOP PUTTING IT OFF !!!!!!

Hope this helps !!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

My approach for exams is to read the exam study guide (from Cisco Press) and if possible watch training videos (ie: Train Signal, CBT Nuggets). The CCNA in particular is so mainstream that there are huge resources available for it; Cisco puts out a flashcard book, for example, which I found fairly helpful for that one.

CCNP, CCDP

Bonked.. I agree with Gene.. Buy the Sybex book and get going.. Sybex also has an awesome IOS Commands book for CCNA... And finally buy the CiscoPress 31 Days before the CCNA! That will help you to ensure that you did not miss anything. There is also a 31 days before the CCENT!

Good Luck!

Billy Haines
CISSP Associate, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I think "quadratic" had spent too much time "in the water", no pun intended. Buy a book, study it, and test? Please, hardly enough for the CCNA!
Go to howtonetwork.net. Amazing STUFF!

Re: CCNA study guide. I would advise against the Lammle book as a primary source. Some say it is easy reading but get this-the test is not easy. Easy won't get it done. I got Lammle's book and found myself spending a lot of time online researching and trying to clarify. Finally I bought the Odom books and was shocked by the amount of information that was not in Lammle's book. Further Odom explains the material clearly and in great detail. You won't be online constantly researching the information he presents like you will with Lammle's book. In addition Lammle focuses heavily on material like the CNA that you won't see on the exam. And there are other things he throws in that are not in the test while leaving a plethora of information out that is. Also the Odom books come with the Boson exam with sims like the real exam.

I think the main point here should be, get at least two good known sources of material and read them. Then, practice, practice, practice, as my piano teacher used to say. I found Lammle's book the best for me, but it might not be the best for you. I also read extensively from Cisco's website.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

@ uhlenkaj:

Books, flash cards, and maybe some packet tracer labs is enough to prepare for those two exams. For anything beyond CCNA I'd suggest GNS3 for routing labs, Packet Tracer for most switching labs, and yes of course the books - those exams are mostly theoretical and the books are usually quite good at getting your networking theory to where it needs to be. Since I'm saying that out of first-hand experience, if you still don't believe it is possible then I don't know what to tell you.

Also, Quadratic is a math-related account name, not a water-related account name so I'm not sure what pun is there.

CCNP, CCDP

Also, I agree with net1tek on Odom. His are usually the best in the Cisco Press library, and the difference is night-and-day in some cases.

CCNP, CCDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back