Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

push out test files to users desktops via AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

zon123

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2005
US
I need to copy 2 text files to all users desktop. How do I push these files to the desktops via active directory? Ad runs on WIndows enterprise server 2003 SP1. All our clients are WInodws XP sp2

Do your users currently run logon scripts? You can just modify the logon script to copy the files as required.

yes they do.
What line do I add on the login script to do this? I want the files specifically on the desktops

It should be as simple as adding the following two lines to your login script
copy file1.doc c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop
copy file2.doc c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop

If you are using .vbs files you will need to modify accordingly

I created a test login script and configured 4 users profiles in AD to use the test login script but it did not work. I even had them reboot their computers. Here is what the login script looks like. Please help.

@echo off

net use Z: \\svr-files\Data

Copy Z:\SOFTWARE\session files\DevCus.axc C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
Copy Z:\SOFTWARE\session files\TestCus.axc C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

:end

what happens when you attempt to run this manually? Do you have administrative access to the user's machine?

th login script is in a shared folder, I accessed it from my computer via the run command and ran manually and nothing happened. I copied it onto my desktop and ran it, but nothing happened. I attempt to ran by typing its path in command prompt and i this msg:

System error 85 has occured.
The local device name is already in use.

The system cannot fin the file specified.
The system cannot fin the file specified.

You could try running a VBScript file as a user logon script. Create the VBScript file (copy the contents below into notepad, then save the file with a .vbs extension)... then specify the file as a user logon script through Windows group policy.

Const OverwriteExisting = TRUE

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
objFSO.CopyFile "C:\FSO\ScriptLog.txt" , "D:\Archive\", OverwriteExisting

obviously you edit the script to match your own setup. In the script above, "ScriptLog.txt" is the file you are copying and you're copying it to "D:\Archive"

To specify the script as a user logon script in Windows group policy, open the policy and enter it here... User Configuration\Scripts (Logon/Logoff)\Logon

I did not try the vb script. I modified the exixting bat file and it worked. Here is what it looks like now.

Copy /Y "Z:\SOFTWARE\session files\DevCus.axc" "%userprofile%\Desktop"
Copy /Y "Z:\SOFTWARE\session files\TestCus.axc" "%userprofile%\Desktop"
Exit
I needed to put the quotes because of the spaces between words like session files.
Thank you so much. You shed alot of light on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back