Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Push Changes out to Multiple Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpimental

Programmer
Jul 23, 2002
US
I have a master database that I make changes to.

I would like to be able to push my changes to all user front ends.

For example, if I had a table of object names and types, how could I leverage that to open a connection to all user frontend dbs and backup their version of the objects and add the new version of the objects to each users database?

Can it be done?

David Pimental
(US, Oh)

what i've done in the past is when the user logs into the db, their front end checks the version date in the master on the server and if their version is not the latest, their front-end updates itself.

You can set up a replication set and designated design master to accomplish this. Search the Access Help to find out more.

However, replication in Access is not all that it is cracked up to be and most people find simpler methods such as redwoodly's.

We developed a menu system for users to open the many office apps (access/excel/word templates) that we use. This allows both version control and distribution and user access control. It also allows us to roll-back an update if bugs are discovered in it after release.

Thanks for all your help. I am still trying to determine the best solution.

I have 10 user databases and one more master "migration" database and a "development" master db.

Of the users, I have 1 read-only copy.

They are all basically the same version; but when I make smaller changes, I'd rather not recopy all data to a new version.

Thanks again for all your help. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do.

David Pimental
(US, Oh)

David said:
I'd rather not recopy all data to a new version
Typically it's recommended that you have a front-end application file with all of you forms, queries, code, reports, and modules. Each user gets their own copy of this file. The tables are linked from a back-end mdb that is located on a shared drive.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back