Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pure IP Switch with V-Lans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milestoned

Vendor
Feb 27, 2003
US
What's the basic topolgoy of a pure IP network utilizing vlans?

Here's the specific question that I can't wrap my head around. I know the phone's vlan can be changed And I know I can program ports on the switch to be on sepperate vlan.

What happens when I plug a PC in the switch port of the phone? Will the PC on say vlan 0 find the corect DHCP server. My intention was to do everything DHCP with the 176 option.

Am I way off on this one?

Check this post out, should help you out.

ipo.gif
Umm anotherprivatebuild !!!

Milestoned:

Setup your layer2 switch ports to be tagged on the voice vlan and untagged on the default vlan.

Turn on the IP Office DHCP server and plug that into a port which is forbidden on the data vlan and untagged on the voice vlan.

You will already have an external DHCP running and that will need to be setup with option 176. You will need to add a vlan tag option to the 64XX setting text file located in the tftp server or manager directory if manager is used for tftp.

when the phone boots up it will go to the external DHCP server looking for option 176. on finding that the tftp server 64xx file will give the phone a vlan tag. the phone will reboot on this vlan and find the IP Office and connect.

The PC plugged in the back of the phone will just get its info from the external DHCP and ignore anything to do with option 176 and the voice vlan as its header info is ignored.

hope this helps

Alfred

You guys F'n rock!

Many thanks -- makes sense now.

Sorry for the profanity. sometimes I can't help myself

Note if you use the ipo as the DHCP server then you do not need to setup the the options on the external dhcp server.

Correct me if i am wrong MR AF

Regards

ATC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back