Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Purchasing Servers On Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ServeAdmin440

Technical User
Dec 18, 2009
US
I decided to search Ebay some high end servers for the heck of it and was surprised what I came across. For example, I searched for an IBM x3850 and found one for $2,000. Has 4 quad core procs, 24GB of RAM, two NIC cards, two HBAs, two power supplies. So I'm astonished by what a good deal this is. The server is in used condition but the seller gurantees that it works. If I were to go to an online reseller (such as CDW, PCConnection) I would pay well over $10,000 for this same server brand new. I mean this is still new technology and at such a good deal. So before I get to excited and decide to make the purchase thought I would get some insight from others in the field. So my question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of buying a high end server like this on Ebay as opposed to brand new from somewhere like CDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back