Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pulling records off combo field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dre313

Technical User
Jun 4, 2003
US
Hi,

I have a combo field with data from a table.. as follows..

AB
AB1
AB2
AT
AT1
AT2
AF
AF1
AF2
etc......

I have a form and a subform inside.. when the user selects AB1 in the combo box and hits a button it returns all records with an AB1 on it.. What I want to know is .. when the user selects just "AB" in the combo field can it return all records that contain an "AB" in it.. even if its AB1 or AB2?

thanks

You could use Wildcards (*) to do the trick, but i'm unaware as to how you are returning the values, so i'm not sure if it will work.

On my form I have a subform.. On the form I have the combo box.. with the listings on top.. when i choose AB1 it returns all records in my subform with the value of AB1.. AB1 is in a field along with other fields in the record..

What I want is.. if the user selects AB in the combo .. it'll display all records with a match of AB from that particular field on the record..

AB,AB1,AT etc.. are in a seperate table itself.. when a user enters in a record he chooses one of these from the combo.. and updates the record.. now each record has an AB or AB1 or AT.. and so on...

I hope this explained a lil more on what i was looking for..

I never used wildcards before.. how do I use them ?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back