Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Publishing an intranet to a CD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shandyw

IS-IT--Management
Jun 22, 2001
AU
Hello All
I would like to publish our intranet onto a CD so that remote users can access the info without dialing in.
1) I know I will have to change the path in all my hyperlinks. Does anyone know how to do this in one go in FP 2000?
2) How can I get the server extensions onto the CD so that I can keep my counters, searches etc?
3) Is there anything else I need to do or 3rd party software that would make this easier?

Many thanks

You should be able to publish directly to a CD ROM from the web site. Just click the browse button to choose the destination. You shouldn't need to change any of the paths because of the way FrontPage sets them up--i.e., if you're linked to a file in a folder it's shown in the link as file.htm, not I don't know about the counters, if they'd work or not, and the searches--you'd have to try and see what happens. The only other thing you'd have problems with that you would have to fix is if the web site has .asp files. When I've published to CD ROM, it has a hard time reconciling that.

Linda Adams
Visit my web site for writing and Microsoft Word tips: Official web site for actor David Hedison:

If you are taking a FrontPage Web and putting it on CD I'd suggest the following:

A) Just make a copy of your Web rather than publishing it
B) * On your copy, remove all folders that start with _
C) Make sure all pages' filenames end with .HTM or .HTML
D) Webbots like Counters and Date Updated will be ignored
E) I think searching won't work since it requires "Indexing Service"
F) On your CD make an AUTORUN.INF in the root folder with something like this in it:

[autorun]

open=default.htm (or whatever is the root filename)

This is just a text file you can make in Notepad.

* You may have to change your view in Windows Explorer to show all filetypes including 'hidden'. Dave [idea]
[]

Thanks for the help guys. Ideally I would like to get the FP extensionms working on or with the CD, though, because our intranet has frames which are controlled by the server extensions. The top frame containes the menu for the whole site so it is essential, or else I'll have to completely re-design the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back