Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Publishing a DB to be used on Local Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sisco

Technical User
Jul 11, 2000
US
I have a DB that I am interested in publishing/converting to be used within an organization's Intranet on their WEB. Can someone tell me what this endeavor will involve?

It really depends on what you already have in place and what you want to do with it. First of all, obviously, you need a web server with an ODBC connection that points to your DB (if you want to run live queries). Second, you have to decide if it will be for the purpose of data entry, or data reporting. If you want to do data entry, you'll have to go the way of Active Server Pages, or some other third part RDBMS web tool. If you just want to return daily, weekly, or monthly results to people, you can go the way of static HTML, exported from Access, or you can use Active Server Pages here again, to give live results each time a user hits your page. So, first evaluate your resources (can your web server handle a lot of RDBMS traffic), along with your skill sets, and determine what's best for your organization. Hope that helps.

V

One more point...do you have a big, frequently used DB? Then adding web traffic could give you headaches as well, so consider that. Good luck.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back