Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Published Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtreembob

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2002
US
I am running Citrix XPe on Windows 2000 servers and am receiving the following message from some users:
The Citrix server is unable to process your request to start this published application...

I checked DOC ID CTX996187 and everything on our servers seem fine. We are running 3 servers in a farm with load balancing turned on. These apps do run fine as a desktop app.

Any ideas on what to try next?
Thanks

I picked this up for you. This was not my hardwork below but i figured why reinvent the wheel. Good luck

Finally got the fix from the Citrix Support Knowledge Base at the following
URL (may wrap):
10,N=0005,K=32167,SXI=7,Case=obj(13707)

The problem is that the following registry value:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit

you must include the string "wfshell.exe" (may contain other programs in
the string, separated by commas but wfshell.exe must be there)

And also under the following registry value:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\AppSetup

You must include the following string: "cmstart.exe" (also may contain
other programs in the string, but again cmstart.exe must be included)

Without those two registry values, published desktops are possible, but not
published applications.

Hope this helps somebody else...I pulled my hair out for a day before
discovering the Citrix Knowledge Base Article...

I haven't been able to say this often but: THANK YOU CITRIX!

-Dave Melczer
dmelczer@wlrk.com

Thanks for the information provided. I did make the entry for the filie wfshell.exe in the "Userinit" registry. When I did this no one could access the published apps at all. When I took it out everything was fine again.

Anything else you can point me to would be greatly appreciated. The only time users can't access the system via Published Apps is when it's under heavy load. If I put another server on-line and don't add any users it seems to work fine.

Bob

Bob,

We have found that having a large number of people on the servers (over 30) has required a dedicated Master brower. The servers are too busy processing user requests to handle a new request. You may want to keep a low end server on hand to handle just published application requests.

Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff. That makes a lot of sense to me based on the problems we have been encountering. I'll move the master browser as you suggest.
Bob

Just a note... If the solution realy is to isolate the master browser than this must be a new problem with W2K and/or XPe as I am running 500+ on a farm of 13 servers running NT4TS+MF1.8 without a dedicated master browser. I often run 40-50 users per box when removing 1-2 servers for maintenance.

Not very familiar with W2K but is it possible that you may have a DNS problem or something similar? Can you ping your servers by name?
Can you run anything published from your farm?

Let us know if a dedicated browser solves your problems. -- Devil Dog --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back