Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public Wireless Network on Private Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2004
CA
Hey folks,

I am looking at setting up a 'public' wireless network within a private network to allow guests to surf the internet. What I am proposing here is having a wireless network with the address scheme of 192.168.0.XXX using a wireless network appliance.

The building this is in has one internet connection; the rest of the building is on a 10.180.xxx.xxx address scheme. I would like to setup the wireless appliance to share this internet connection BUT not be able to browse around on the 10.180.xxx.xxx network.

Does anyone know any low cost devices that would let this happen. In theory a home Linksys wireless router may work with the proper routing. This is a very small business and the traffic on this wireless connection would be 1-3 users at a time checking email etc.

Thoughts..??

Thanks

Mark Morton, MCSA, MCP, SNA, CCA, CCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back