Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

public to private IP change problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nell1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Hi all,

Have a strange network problem that I have been 'handed' and is confusing the hell out of me.

Situation:

BT ADSL Modem/Router - 16 port Edimax Hub - Win2K Server - 10 clients running winxp pro & Win2k Pro.
At the moment all the desktops have public IP address (I know.. I could'nt believe it either), with no firewall protection.
What i wanted to do was to establish a private LAN IP address network with all clients connecting via just one
of the public IP's with a nice firewall in for protection.

I purchased a Symantec Firewall/VPN 100 appliance, assigned it with one of the public IP's. So now the BT router goes into

the WAN port of the firewall and the firewall then plugs into the hub.

I unplugged all of the other clients from the hub, assigned a private IP of 192.168.0.1 to my laptop, with the gateway being

the lan ip of the firewall, and plugged the laptop into the hub. Presto! Could surf the web no probs.

Then i configured one of the client machines with a new LAN ip 192.168.0.3, gateway being firewall, and plugged into hub. No

joy... could not gain any internet access at all. Could not ping anything.

Really confused. How come my laptop would work but not the newly configured client workstation? I triple checked all IP

settings.. absolutely positive no mistakes there. Could it be an adapter issue? Hub issue? Absolutely stumped!

Any help would be gratefully recieved!!

Nell1

Update on the problem if anyone is interested.

I managed to get internet access on my laptop by changing the network speed of my adapter form 'Auto Detect' to '10mbps Half Duplex'. However when I plugged the firewall into the config it would not work. I had to change the speed of my adapter to 'Auto Detect'.

Must be something to do with the hardware then. With only the old HUB its 10mbps Half Duplex - with the firewall inserted its auto detect 100mbps.

Nell1

Do you have NAT enabled running on your router? If you do not only 1 machine will be able to use the connection at a time.

Router hard coded to 100 Mbit FULL DuplexDuplex?
Get rid of the hub. You can have a 24port semi-managed
switch for $99 (not great but better than a hub)

If router 100 and hub 10 and no way for either to change
then it wont work.

Not to mention the benifits of 100 vs 10 (2-3 times better)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back