Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public MySQL Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGrahmann

Programmer
Feb 19, 2015
US
Hi, I'm fairly new to VB.net, but I'm curious if it's possible to create a MySQL Connection and make it Public/Global to where multiple Subs/source files could use it. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ty

Yes it is. Right-click the project in Solution Explorer, then select Add->Module. Give the module a name and click Add. You can the create the connection object there, as Public, and it will be visible to the entire project. When referencing global variables in modules, I like to include the module name (e.g., Module1.Connection1), even though the module name is not required. It just keeps things clear, that the connection is defined in a module.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

This is just one way of doing this. There are a number of ways to approach what you want.
Generally I create a new VB.Net App_code module containing a Class named:
Public Class DataClass​

And within that class I have 3 separate Functions to use anywhere in my code;
1) GetDataSet(ByVal SQLQueryStr as String) ' <-- Returns Records from Database
2) ExecuteNonQuery(ByVal SQLQueryStr as String) ' <-- Runs Updates/Deletes/Etc. not requiring Record(s) Return
3) GetDataReader(ByVal SQLQueryStr As String) ' <-- Used as part of Gridview ObjectDataSource SelectMethod

Each of those contains the appropriate Connect String, but in addition each one is used for different types of SQL Operations against a 'backend' database.

The Functions are then called anywhere within the application
Example:
Code:
' --- Return a set of Records ---
 Dim ds As DataSet
 Dim dt As DataTable
 ds = DataClass.GetDataSet(<SQL Query String>)
 dt = ds.Tables(0)
 If dt.Rows.Count >= 1 Then
   < do something with the record(s) >
 Else
   ' --- No Records Returned ---
 Endif

That way not only the Connection string is 'seen' as public, but also all the other code necessary to perform the desired operation - which is often used multiple times within a given application.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Thank you both so much for your great help!
-Ty

Hey guys, I tried that module method. I get an error when compiling. I'm going to post my code any maybe someone can tell me where I'm going wrong? Thanks in advance!

**the variable 'Mnemonic' in this case is defined by a form prior to referencing this module

Code:
Imports MySql.Data.MySqlClient

Public Module CLETSConnect

Dim StatColor As Color
    Dim ConnStr As String

Public Sub ConnCLET()
        Dim cletconn As MySqlConnection
        cletconn = New MySqlConnection()

cletconn.ConnectionString = "server=localhost;user id=root;password=rootpw;database=" & Mnemonic

Try
            cletconn.Open()
            StatColor = Color.Green

ConnStr = "CLETS Connected"
            cletconn.Close()
        Catch errors As MySqlException
            StatColor = Color.Red

ConnStr = "CLETS NOT CONNECTED"

End Try

End Sub
End Module

The following is an example of one of the Connections that I talk about above.
Note that within the calling code, I pass the SQL Query String.

Code:
Public Class DataClass
    Public Shared Function GetDataReader(ByVal sql As String) As Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader
        Dim cDataPath As String = ""
        Dim Conn As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection
        Dim Cmd As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
        Dim reader As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader = Nothing
        GetDataReader = Nothing

Try
            cDataPath = [u]< UNC and/or fully pathed String defining where to find data >[/u]
            ' --- Use cDataPath in the following Connection String ---
            Conn.ConnectionString = [u]< Your specific MySQL Connection String >[/u]

Cmd.Connection = Conn
            Cmd.CommandText = sql  ' --- Passed as Parameter to this Class's Function --
            Cmd.Connection.Open()

GetDataReader = Cmd.ExecuteReader

Catch ex As Exception
            ' --- Close/Clear Open Objects ---
            GetDataReader = Nothing
            Conn.Close()
            Conn.Dispose()
            HttpContext.Current.Session("sql") = Nothing
            ' --- Write out Error to Log File ---
            ' --- Examine  [u]ex.Message[/u]   to understand error specifics ---
            LogError("GetDataReader:" & ex.Message & vbCrLf & ex.Source & ex.StackTrace & vbCrLf & " DataPath: " & cDataPath & vbCrLf & " SQL:" & sql)

End Try
        HttpContext.Current.Session("sql") = Nothing
    End Function

End Class

Once the
Code:
GetDataSet(<SQL Query String>)
is executed and no error encountered, it brings back a Data Table ( dt ) which may have Rows in it ((assuming that the SQL Query found something) or not.

Also you indicate
the variable 'Mnemonic' in this case is defined by a form prior to referencing this module
but have you confirmed that it is truly being 'seen' by this Function so as to result in an accurate MySQL Connection String?

Creating a MySQL Connector
MySQL Connection Strings

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back