Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public Folders? Asterisk? Faxing Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJA

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
CA

OK - so I'm as excited as everyone else about the whole UM thing... :)

Has anyone got any info on the following?

1) This is the version that keeps Public Folders, right? I believe the next version of Exchange (after Exchange 2007) loses Public Folders.

2) Asterisk? I know there were plans to make this work with Exchange 2007 UM, but it's all gone really quiet. Anyone know a setup that works?

This would drastically reduce costs for us...

3) Faxing out? We have a Hylafax system working fine for us. Takes incoming faxes, dumps them into certain public folders depending on the incoming line used. Uses a client on the desktop to send faxes, but the configuration is a little troublesome & the client is a little flaky, (hey - it's free!)

I believe the new Exchange will do also this (receive faxes, push them into a set folder or inbox).

Anyone know how you send a fax with it? Is it built-in to office 2007 or something?

It's early days and there may not be answers to this stuff - but no harm in asking...

Thanks

Paul

Public folders are still in 2007, but are being "de-emphasized". Microsoft wants people to use SharePoint instead. I can't speak to your other questions.

I am running Asterisk in my production and my test network. I am in the process of installing Exchange 2007 right now.
Currently my Asterisk server is accepting faxes and mailing them to an e-mail address.
I’ll post results as soon as I am ready with them

forum.gif
Dean

Thanks Dean - I would definetly be interested to hear your findings...

regards

Paul

Asterisk uses SMTP as its transport protocol so Exchange 2007 should support it absolutely fine as all it does it forward faxes as emails with attachments via SMTP.

Yes - incoming seems quite straight forward. The relevance (for me) was more to do with Public Folders.

My incoming faxes come in on 5 different lines to my Hylafax server. Depending on the line, the fax is then sent as a PDF attachment to an SMTP addresses, which then get dropped into different department's Public Folders.

It seems this will continue to work for me on the new Exchange.

MS seemed to address the whole incoming fax thing, but nothing has been said about outgoing faxes from the desktop...

We shall see...

If you send to an SMTP address, then it will work, you just assign an address to the folder(s) in question.

As for outgoing faxes, Exchange does not fax, you need a 3rd party tool to do that.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I've put step-by-step instructions on how to connect Asterisk to Exchange 2007 for Outlook Voice Access and Voice Mail on my blog at if any one is interested.....

Alan

Excellent - thanks Alginald...

Click FAQ and at the bottom you can start typing just like starting a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back