Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public folder with Word docs possible with Exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

translux

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
I have looked everywhere on how to create a public folder in Outlook/Exchange that contains Word or Excel docs. I’m beginning to think that this is not possible? We are using Exchange 2000 server on a W2K server with Outlook 2000 clients. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

HI!

I have no experience with Exchange 2K (only with 5.5), but my advice for you is to consider not using Exchange for this folder, but other solution like normal file server folders, or the new MS product sharepoint.

Using Exchange for this has some advantages but you should also think about easy backup, restore and management of your data, and other management tasks.

Why not for example, create a normal file-share, and in addition to SMB access, share it also using HTTP & FTP. Using IIS you can even use Content Indexer for fast text searches.

Again, I don't know enough about E2K, but some tips won't harm anyone.

Bye

Yizhar
Yizhar Hurwitz

Well, I can't see the problem myself. We do exactly as you want to, using Exchange 5.5 and OL98/OL2K clients. It works very well, and laptop users can have easily updated access to the folders, using offline folders. This beats any file sharing scheme into a cocked hat.

What are your objections? If ou are using Exchange, you need to be sure that you are backing up anyway.

What I don't understand is, why are you having a problem setting the folders up? In Outlook, create a new public folder under the Public Folders/All Public Folders folder. Er, that's it really. Maybe you need to set some permissions, right-click the folder and go to Properties. Doesn't this work for you?

Once the folder is there, then just grag-and-drop files into it, or (for Word and Excel) you can use the File/Send To/Exchange Folder menu item.

At what step do you get stuck?

Once again I would like to thank everyone who came to my aid with prompt, helpful tips.
My solution for this issue was as follows. Like so many things I was looking difficult, complex answer. I assumed that when I created a new public subfolder that I could only save Outlook like files, mail, tasks etc. Now all I do in Word is use send to exchange folder. It’s that easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back