Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public Alias :WORK: has changed. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred40

Programmer
Nov 10, 2005
US
This morning, when one user turned on her computer it did not link to the network and when she started Paradox 9 it gave her an error message. When I got her linked to the network and started Paradox 9, the :WORK: file that all of the computers use no longer had the path to the network drive. How can I reinstate this on her terminal/computer? I have exhausted my limited knowledge of Paradox and am stumped.

Short answer:
Add -w path_to_workdir_here to the end of the quoted portion of the icon used to start Paradox.

If you have spaces in the path, enclose what comes after -w in quotes.

Longterm answer:
The next step, though, is to use ALIASES for everything (pointers within/to all constructs, whether other programatic constructs or tables, in all forms/libraries/scripts/reports). Then it doesn't matter where :work: is pointing to.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

Thank you Tony for replying to my question.
I am not clear on your instructions but have some more info for you before I make changes.
Right now the shortcut icon path has -b after the quotation marks as do all of the network terminal/computers. I suppose that symbolizes the Borland BDE file IDAPI.CFG. All of the terminals have been working fine until this one this morning so I'm wondering what changed.
Also, if I choose the directory on the network from the drop down list in the Paradox 9 Project Viewer (where :WORK: can also be selected) then I get the tables, forms, and reports that I want but with a problem. The most often used form which has a button for adding new records to the table, no longer works correctly and does not add 1 to the last number, but rather adds a new record named 1 at the beginning of the table even though the action tells it differently. If I change from :WORK: to that same directory in the Project Viewer on any other terminal/computer, everything works just fine.

(addition to first reply to Tony)
We are continueing to have network problems today. Although the computer is connected to the network, now when I open Paradox 9 in just this one terminal/computer with the problem I get the following Error Messages:
First message:
Network initialization failed.
Directory:G:\PDOXDATA\
File:G:\PDOXDATA\PDOXUSER.NET
Cannot access network lock file.
Continue with network disabled? Yes No

Second message:
Could not initialize BDE.:
Network initializatio failed.
Directory:G:\PDOXDATA\
File:G:\PDOXDATA\PDOSUSERS.NET

Sounds like you need to fix your network.

Also, check that PC for .lck and .net files. Exit Paradox first.
If they are the pdox version, delete all of them (local computer) and then restart Paradox.

Someone probably answered 'Yes' to 'Continue with network disabled?', which you MUST NOT do or you get local copies of .net and .lck files created. And which mess you up royally until you bring things back under control.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

You are right. We replaced the Bde folder with another that used the same network drive letter and fixed the problem. Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back