Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PTR Records 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCS1

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2005
US
Hi all,

We are having problems with a newly launched Exchange 2007 server. Whenever we send to domians such as aol.com or rr.com (for instance) we get a bounce back with the error message "550 5.7.1. IP Name Lookup Failed". This doesnt happen with all domains, just a few.

My assumption is that there is missing DNS info and a reverse PTR record needs to be added.

AT&T is the company that provides our T1, however, when we contacted them, they said that they do not manage our DNS so they cannot add the PTR record. What Ive read thru google searches states that they are the ones who have to add it. Who is right? Or am I totally off base on my diagnoses of the problem?

Thanks!

They own the IP address, so they need to do it. It goes in THEIR DNS, not yours. It should, however, match the name on your MX record (mail.domain.com)

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

So now the problem is finding a way to convince them that they have to add it...joy!

Thanks for your response..

AT&T aren't necessarily going to have your external DNS records. In many cases it is your domain name registrar that will do that for you.

Usually you can edit that yourself depending on the registrar.

Neill

Do a who is on your domain and look at the DNS servers for it. You will be able to find out who has those DNS servers and who to contact.

It is what it is!!

AT&T aren't necessarily going to have your external DNS records. In many cases it is your domain name registrar that will do that for you.

Where your public DNS is has nothing to do with your reverse DNS (PTR record). The only entity that can set that up is the one that own the address. That's the ISP. It really is that simple.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

HI
try to compare your DNS server and other DNS servers if your DNS cannot resolve the Domain name add more DNS server to your exchange server or manaully add the record within your DNS

Once again, a PTR record has nothing to do with your internal DNS structure. It's the reverse DNS zone maintained by your ISP. They - and only they - are responsible for the PTR record.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back