Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSU voltage levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanSquirrel

Technical User
Apr 1, 2003
GB
Can anyone tell me what sort of voltage levels I should be getting. I have a PSU that is almost bang on on all the readings except for the +12v rail.

This is only kicking out 10.8v-11.4v when system idle.

I have tried putting the graphics card on it's own rail (no change) and disconnecting the optical drive (got an extra 0.5v).

Is this normal?

The ATX MOBO specification >> and ATX PSU Design Guide >> both say the 12V rail should be within +/- 5%, or 11.40 to 12.60 volts.

Software based utilities like Speedfan and the BIOS are notoriously inaccurate though. Before running out to buy a new PSU you should check the voltage with a digital multimeter. If you don't have one you can get a fairly decent one for $20 and up >>

What wattage PSU running what equipment? (processor spec / motherboard etc etc) a low wattage PSU will struggle powering a PC designed for intermediate range weather forecasting ;)

Thanks, just dumped in a Q-Tec 500w psu and all is well with the world. The 400w that was in before clearly was struggling. Now the 12v rail sits at 11.8ish.

The cpu is a 3400+ amd64, and the graphics are a ati x800pro.....

My first suspect was the psu, and it turned out to be so.

I have another machine that has the 5v rail down around the 3.5v mark (on a 400w psu with a 3400+ amd64 plus a ati 9800xt) and its running sweet. Is that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back