Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSU power connections 24 pin or 4 pin or both

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckes101

Technical User
Feb 8, 2006
GB
Hello Friends and thank you for taking the time to look at my thread. I have just built a PC with an AMD phenom CPU on a biostar MCP6P M2 motherboard. The board has both 24 pin power socket and a 4 pin power socket. My psu(700 watt) also has a 24 pin power connector and a 4 pin connector. The PC works fine when i use 20 pins in the 24 pin socket and the stand alone 4 pin power connector. But when i put a graphics card in the system starts for a couple of seconds and then dies. Am i supposed to be using the full 24 pin power connector and the 4 pin together. Or will this fry my system?? All advise greatly appreciated as i have never come across this problem before.

Definately use both.
'Am i supposed to be using the full 24 pin power connector and the 4 pin together. Or will this fry my system??' actually the reverse, if you don't use the extra connections you may overload the remaining pins.
Many newer motherboards won't boot unless all the power connections are used, this is pretty common now.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Yes, and there should be (2) different 4-pin connectors...one that joins up nicely with the 20-pin ATA power connector and another separate 4-pin we used to call "the P4 connector" because I believe that processor made more than one power connection to the mainboard a normal thing. Now it's standard to have a second connector, up to 8-pin depending on the MB. This is in addition to the 24-pin connector.

Tony

Users helping Users...

OK guys. Thanks very much for the advice. I'm off to connect the other 4 pin socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back