Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Psu blown, no video 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artois28

Technical User
Feb 10, 2006
DE
Hi all,
Wondered if anyone could shed some light on this...
Pc wouldn't start this morning (fine last night) so replaced the psu (was 550watt now 600watt). Connected everything back together and started up except nothing on the monitor.monitor is telling me no cable attached-there is! Replaced the graphics card and nothing again. Also noticed that dimms had red light on them so replaced those as well. The motherboard (P5K) has green lights, original graphics card shows green lights, and everything seems to be doing what it should. Any ideas would be appreciated, many thanks, Artois28.

Have you tried doing a cmos reset?
If that doesn't work, it would seem to be either the system board or cpu, given the other failures, I would lean towards system board. Was there a storm in your area last night, because this sounds like electrical damage.

Thanks for the quick response rclarke250,
As for an electrical storm, not that I know of. I agree that it sounds like the mobo except that everything seems to work on it and the CPU spins up no problem. Can a blown psu just take out the pci-e slot?

Many thanks again...

Not the slot, but it could damage the chipset, or associated supporting circuitry. Did you try a cmos reset? And if it supports on board video, try without a video card, and use the on board for a test.

Thanks for advice, going to give it a try tonight.

Many thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back