Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PST Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpamCan1

MIS
Apr 18, 2001
US
I've never had this problem before but when I'm importing a .pst I am getting the following error:

Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use

File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file E:\inbox.pst

I am the Exchange admin (I don't know if this makes a difference) and loading this .pst on my computer has no problems, but loading this .pst on another person's computer results in this error. Does anybody know where the permissions for this are?

right click on the file in windows explorer, and select properties.
all the security settings are in there

Spamcan1,
You may also need to re-establish the .pst in your mail program. This is done (at least in Microsoft Outlook) by going into Tools/Services. If the pst has already been setup it needs to be removed and then added back in. I have found that this works very often. I think the "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" part of the error message is referring to this.

The procedure should be similar in other e-mail programs.

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail." - Abraham Maslow

Get more tools!

Means the pst file attribute is set as a read only file, right click on the file, go to properties and clear the box saying read only . this usually happens if the pst has been written on a CD rom for backup.

have you imported the inbox.pst and not close down outlook before you are tring to import into another computer.

Whats the best method of having users archive to a .pst file
and being able to back it up remotely or sychronize??

I just had an exec. who's drive crashed and cannot recover the .pst file from it. Any better way of having folks archive and synchronize remotely that way we can backup from the network ??

thanks gang

You can have them export .pst's to \\servername\pstfiles\theirname.pst
have them set best encryption and use their logon pw
(so they dont forget the pw)

then just set the server up to backup every night. then ensure that the backups were successful the next morning.

I'd recommend using at least 30 backup tapes if you do nightly backups, because someone WILL come to you saying they deleted this mail 3 weeks ago and want you to recover it. Actually, you may want to get 60 tapes..

If you have a larger organization you would set up multiple servers, a-g h-p q-z with permissions on the folders to allow only people with those last names in. Or group them by department.

Since hard drives do not fail often, also tell your users to keep an up to date pst on their hard drive somewhere, and not to forget the pw to it. If your company has the $$ to spend, could even buy cdrws for the higher ups to burn their psts to disc.

Just a few ideas..

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back