Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PST file onto Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

rathcoffey

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2002
IE
Hi there

I have recently joined a company and they are using ES5.5. Having checked the backup settings etc, Ive noticed that only 3 users have their PST file on the server.

How do I configure Outlook 2000 to look for the PST file on the Server and if so will users have access to mail when offline.

I know I can set up personal folders to do this, how do I make that Inbox etc default and is this the best way??

Thanks

Mark

why would you want to deliver mail to PST? PST's should only be used to archive/save messages, unless you have serious disk space issues or you're only using POP3. Let the mail deliver to the user's inbox and get some decent exchange aware backup software for the server. If you're concerned about offline use, that's what OST's are for.

Hello !

Can you give us more information about PST, OST ?

I have a user with 3G of emails with 2 PST File (it is a laptop)and i don't know how can
i manage it ...

When he is at office i would like he works on server (because i do backup) and when he is out, i would like
he has all his emails with him ?????

Thanks of your precious help !
Alain

OST is the file that Outlook creates for Offline use. You should have your user's email being sent to his Inbox, not PST. Then configure Outlook for offline use. Go to Tools, Services, Properties (Microsoft exchange server), Advanced, and click the "offline folder...." button to set up the OST file. Change the default delivery of his mail to Inbox. Then set the all mailbox folders to synchronize by going to Tools, Synchronize, All Folders.
This is a bit sketchy, but hopefully you get the idea...

Thats what Id like to do......

I have configured the aforementioned 3 users to use an ost file. However, they still use a remote pst file when online.

How do I change the default delivery of mail to Inbox??
(bad day....mind is gone completely)

Thanks bronto

Mark

That sounds like a good day actually...:)

In Outlook, go to Tools, Services, Delivery and change it in there.

Dope......!!!!!!!!

Now if I can remember my name.

Thanks

is OST File a copy of ntserver data ?
What is the max size of this file ?

thanks a lot
alain

i think we better back track to explain them the configure of outlook. i for one, was confused on this ost, pst and so on..

This is how i choose, when you first go to configure outlook, you have 3 options
"Internet Only" -using isp's e-mail or exchange
"Corporated or Workgroup" -usually for Exchange server
"No e-mail" -just use it for notes, date schedule

if you choose "Internet Only", outlook stores it in pst file in your local computer
if you choose "Corporated or Workgroup", your inbox stays on the server unless you choose like brontosaurus said, it store a copy in your local machine in .ost file, and you can tell it when to sync up between the server and your computer

i choose Corp because users able to get their e-mail where-ever they happened to be and connect to the net
plus i am able to back up all their mail boxes thru backup exec

If you choose to move your pst box over, just log on that user and then choose import it, then it will move those pst info to your server, better done in your local area network, or else if you have a huge pst file, good luck and sitting there for days before it is done

oops forgot to point out that if you use "Corporated or Workgroup" option, when your Exchange recieve an e-mail, you will see it on your outlook instantly

where Internet Option will wait for your next checking period, default is 30 minutes

no problem Martin [brontosaurus] right ?

i am doing a lab at home on Win2k AD and Exchange 2k
i was told the OWA is way better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back