Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.PST file, like Topsy it just keeps growing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
The Outlook 2000 .PST file appears to just keep getting bigger and bigger with incoming mail etc., despite the regular deletion of unwanted e-mails. In fact, deletions appear to make absolutely no difference whatsoever to the file size. Is there a way to prune this file before it takes over the hard disk?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Compact the PST. Right click, Properties/Advanced and choose Compact Now.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a whirl once I'm in front of that particular machine...

Just so I understand what's going on... Is this process compacting or compressing the .PST file like using say PKZIP, or does the process involve actually stripping out the blank spaces left by the deleted e-mails and shuffling up all the retained material rather like running Speedisk or Defrag?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

The latter.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Deleted a large number of unwanted items (probably in excess of 1000) from the INBOX, and then the DELETED ITEMS box was also emptied. This action appeared to actually increase the size of the .PST file. Next, clicked on Properties, Advanced, and clicked on "Compress contents to save disk space". A fair amount of hard disk activity at this point but seemingly all ok so far. However, checking in Explorer the .PST file size showed no difference at all!

Have I missed something, or is there more action to be taken to reduce this file size?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

According to MS the way to reduce its size is to archive old data. See the help in Outlook for instructions. Also make sure that you have journalling turned off as this keeps a record of every single operation in any Office application and can cause huge bloat. I dont know if this method would work, but you could backup your pst file, uninstall, then reinstall Outlook (thus creating a new and empty pst file), then import the data back in (the rational being that only current data would be brought in). I havent tested this theory!!

Peter G

Double check to make sure your working on the right file. Right click the Personal Folders listing in Outlook, go to Properties, then Advanced and note where the PST file is located.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Ok, I can only assume the Outlook installation I tried it on first is corrupted or something. I installed Outlook on a spare hard disk with W2K and loaded up the "oversized" PST file. Went through exactly the same procedure as the first time, and it all work a treat! Thanks guys, all ok now.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Maybe a little other tip if an PST is to large (1GB) or bigger then best is to create a new PST and copy all imported emails to the new PST.

oh yeah and lose some email with attachment in the process
Then delete the old PST

There is a Microsoft technet article that states you have to at least delete 4% of the total size the file is in explorer and then the compact now will decrease the space. If it was not 4% then this may be why it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back