Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

psql not responding to commands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slippy

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2001
GB
I have a RH Linux 6.2 box running Apache and PostgreSQL.
My problem is as follows:
I am using php to talk to postgres to extract, update and remove data.And it all works great.I also have phppgadmin installed and that works as well.But I am unable to use the psql command at all.
I type in a command, and the linux shell interprets the request without error and gives me a blank line? (Waiting for more command line requests)
The postmaster is running.I stopped the postmaster and did a "ps -xf | grep post" and nothing appeared (except the ps command) - so the postmaster seems to be functioning properly without strange orphan children lying around.Also, as I said before... I can access the dBs through php and phppgadmin.
I haven't seen anything like this before...
Also, everything is installed in the default locations using the default settings (port 5432, postgres user etc...)
Any ideas would be appreciated :)

did you use psql <database> ?
i'm using debian but have compiled postgres, php and apache from source and then installed manually - far better i think that relying on pre-built bit's and bobs in the distribution.

i'm abck at work on monday so either reply to this or mail me at work (sbrett@e-mis.com) if you still need help.

the only difference between what we use is the flavour of linux so we should be able to sort something out ...

Check for your php. Did you compile php with Postgresq support ( --with-pgsql=/DIR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back