Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSQL 10 services starting on Win 2003 R2 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2002
CA
I have a new Win 2003 R2 Standard server running PSQL V10, Symantec EndPoint and Symantec Backup Exec as a Workgroup server. When I boot the server the Backup Exec Services and/or PSQL Services are Starting but not Started with no error messages. I can't Stop them or Restart them as the options aren't available. I have found that rebooting will eventually have everything running normally. Why? Sometmes neither starts and sometimes only PSQL stays Starting. The Symantec Network Threat may or may not be running when I check.

No event messages are recorded. I do have the 4245 build of EndPoint installed as it resolved connectivity problems at another site.

Once running the system seems to work fine until the next boot. The server has RAID 1 SATA Enterprise drives for both C (500 Gb) and D (1 Tb).

Other than the nightly Backup Exec backup to a removable hard drive, the system runs only PSQL for the accounting system and EndPoint. About 25 users access the system all day long. All Microsoft, Symantec and Pervasive patches are installed.

Ideas?

It might be a timing / resources issue. You could try setting the Dependencies on the PSQL (or Symantec) services. For example, set the Symantec services as a dependency of the PSQL services. That should delay the PSQL services from fighting with the Symantec services.
Also, is this 32 bit? If so, you might want to make sure XIO is disabled (if you don't need it).

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

I disabled the XIOMGR. That seemed to resolve the reboots and we haven't had a freeze for a few days now. My fingers are crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back