Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSPX edit logo w/magic wand and saving for later use

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlrommel

Technical User
Aug 17, 2007
US
I am a newbie to the program and am trying to paste a logo on photographs before I send them out to my sales force for use. However, I am encountering a problem in that the logo supplied to me had a white background. I researched, and it seems that using the magic wand was the best way to delete the background from logo. Took me several hours as I have the word company and solutions in it, so the "o"s, the area between the "i" and the "t" the loops of the M's - all of the white space within these areas needed to be removed so that the background of the photo appeared through, basically making it a transparent area. I did this through adding a new selection. Finally got it, then saved it in several formats. Copied it and pasted as a new layer. Saved all those "new" photos and i know it mentioned something in the save box about having to merge layers. That was mistake #2.

I quit, go back to do it again a while later, and there is a white background on every single copy of the logo that I saved, no matter what the format.

Question #1: How should I have saved that formatted logo?
Question #2: When I saved the new photos with logo, and it gave me the merging fles yes or no box, I should have checked no so that it didn't merge all the layers together. But how should I have saved it? Is there a way to save it with all of the individual layers intact?

Question #3: Now that I have my edited logo embedded into my photographs, is there anyway to strip apart the layers to retrieve the translucent logo?

I hate to start the entire process of editing the orginal logo again, I don't know if there is anyway around it. If I have to do it again, I need to know how NOT to get myself into the same predicament. I will need to use this logo for future photographs. Can anyone advise???

Next time use the magic wand to select the background. If the background is a uniform white it should be easy. Make sure the contiguous tick box is clear and then it will search out all white areas even in the middle of Os and Ps etc. Hit delete and this should take away all the background.

Save the file as a gif and it should keep the transparent background. (You might want to feather the selecting slightly).

Alternatively it may work if you just save the logo as a gif anyway (you can then set the transparent colour to White in the options).

The only way to save a document with the layers is to save it as a psd file (PSPs native format) as far as I know(!)

I don't have PSP at work so the steps might be slightly different but it shouldn't be too far out.

Learn something new every day
Using Crystal 8, Oracle Database Paint Shop Pro X1 Nikon D80

Actually, if i wanted to reuse a transparent image, i would not save it as a gif, file, but rather as a PS[red]P[/red]
file. PSP is Paintshop's native file format.

It preserves layers, and transparencies.

So Select the part of the logo you want, and cut it out of the original picture. Paste it, and then save it as a PSP file. you can then open it, and copy it into which ever other image you'd want as a new layer, and it will preserve its transparency.

When saving the file, you'll have to flatten as normal file formats like JPG do not support layers, however by this technique, once merged the logo should not loose its transparency.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back