Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PS2 and ISA

Status
Not open for further replies.

randybreck

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
US
Is it possible to allow traffic from a generic non-windows based box like the Playstation 2 to be routed to the internet through the ISA server? I am able to give the PS2 a static IP from the DHCP based upon the PS2s MAC Address. I configured protocols definitions for the ports that it uses and set up Allow rules for those protocols. It does not seem to work. It was working before the ISA installation when the 2000 server was being used as a router with NAT. Does any one know if it is even possible to do this since it is not a windows based machine and probably cannot be integrated into the active directory.

Since you cannot install the firewall client on the ps2. I would make sure that the ip gateway of the ps2 is set to the isa server's internal ip address and then just make sure you have a protocol rule to all the protocols you need.

Nick

Nhidalgo, I think you have a good point. I did set it up for a static ip address inthe DHCP but I noticed that the DHCP server always said this reservation was inactive. I ended up deinstalling ISA and reinstalling 2K server. I then realized that in addition to the reserved IP in DHCP I had to assign a name to that IP address in WINS. At least now the DHCP server shows an active reservation when the PS2 is online. I can now ping the PS2 by its name I gave it in WINS. I do not know IF or HOW I can do this in the DNS like I did in WINS. I also assigned a new computer named Playstation in the Active Directory Users and Computers (same name as assigned in WINS). I still need it reinstall ISA but it looks promising now.

I am still willing to take any advice if anyone sees that I did something wrong or overlooked something. I don't think the Active directory it to friendly to generic IP boxes that don't run WIN2K or higher.

I reinstalled ISA and The PS2 is still not able to access the Internet. I was able to give it a static reserved IP Address through the DHCP server and successfully added an entry with that IP address to WINS and the Forward lookup zone in DNS.

For testing I also opened up all content, ip packets, and protocals to allow all traffic as well as establishing a protocol that opens all ports for TCP and UDP inbound and out bound.

All other windows based computers work fine.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated. I am not sure if I need a reverse lookup zone established, but will try just to see if it will work.

I would also like to know if there is a way just to allow that ip address to be routed to the internet or if I can somehow have the PS2 added to the DMZ. I couldn't find any way to do that, but I think that would work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back