Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PS printer option gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mericat

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Hi All, it's been a while since I was here, mainly because I hadn't been doing much PM work lately, but it is now back with a venegance. I think that what has happened is that the IT dept have deleted the PS printer option from my print menu, as I cannot print to file on anything but my Laserjet, and that is useless as I need to then turn the word file into a pdf for insertion into the PM document. It is a table and of course, they can be tricky.

It is at this stage I have drawn a blank - where can I get another postscript printer option from, as I have no postscript printer!

Please help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

M'Cat.

Getting a thing about blues and purples

Thanks anyway folks, but I'm going to try the advice I just found in another thread.

Was it to download Adobe's generic postscript printer - free at their website - or my preference, use Distiller as your 'virtual' postscript printer?

Actually (feeling foolish) it was neither. I just found it on the PM disk! It works fine now. I found that I can't download actionable files, due to network security, put a request in to IT to get them for me, from the Adobe site, as you mentioned, but then found this solution before they answered me.

I have not heard about using distiller as the postscript printer - I use it a lot, but wouldn't know how to set it up - does it give good results?

Distiller is the ONLY one to choose for your postscript printer if making PDFs, as far as I am concerned.

The advantage is.... if you set up Distiller's job options how you want them, it will remmeber the last setting until you change it. Which means that if you want to, you can go direct from PM to PDF directly by choosing Dsitiller as your printer but skip checking the 'print to file' button. This works really well if you have a few PDFs to make which will all have the same level of compression. Another choice is to set up a number of printer styles in PM using Distiller as the target printer, with differnt job option settings to make the PDFs e.g. Low-rez PDF, high-rez PDF etc

If I know the ultimate end-product of my PM file is a PDF, I will use Distiller as my 'compose to' printer during the document set-up.

I wouldn't know where to start to add distiller as my printer. Could you help? I'd appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back