Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PS/2 Plug-In Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuree

Programmer
Aug 26, 2000
GB
Hi,

I have had my computer for about 3 years now, and my keyboard is starting to go. Everything these days are PS/2. My current Keyboard Port is the 5pin AT type and i have my ps/2 mouse converted to serial. I read through my motherboard manual and it says i can attach ps/2, USB and infrared connecters and i have looked and the pins are there.

Doe anyone know where i can purchase the plugin cables? becuase im having a hell of a time finding one. I am idealy looking for one with a splitter so that i can get a new ps/2 keyboard and start using my ps/2 mouse properly.

Thanks

Arran

You can purchase these at good electronic stores like Maplins.

I don't think you can get a splitter - but even if you could, it would not be of any use in this scenario, since neither the mouse or the keyboard can share a PS/2 port.

You can get a separate port, which sits in one of the slots and plugs into an on-board location (which should be detailed in your manual). These are quite goos, since they not only provide a PS/2 port suitable for a mouse (not a keyboard!), but also an extra serial port for external modems, etc.

If your board supports USB, however, I'd suggest going that way. You can daisy-chain all kinds of devices off USB.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back