Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PS/2 Mouse Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

j118

Technical User
Aug 11, 2003
CA
My mouse has always worked fine, but yesterday I turned on my computer and the system beeped. The mouse then started getting stuck on the screen, after a couple of reboots it disappeared completely. I opened up device manager from system properties in the control panel and discovered that the mouse is not listed along with the other devices. IRQ 12 has also been listed as free instead of occupied by a mouse. I tried add/remove hardware without success (nothing listed for a mouse). Nothing came with my mouse (no driver, no software setup). The BIOS setup did not have an option for enabling PS/2 mouse. I checked the physical setup and everything seemed fine, nothing wrong with the motherboard. Tried it with several different mice and same result. I'm out of ideas. I don't think it's a hardware problem. The system just refuses to recognize the mouse. It was fine before. Any ideas? HELPP!!!

Check out my website at:

tried using serial or USB, might be a quick fix.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

I might have to go out and buy an USB mouse as a last resort. Before i do so though, is there a better way?

I unplugged my computer yesterday and replugged it today and turned it on. The mouse was brieflyrecognized by the computer and was listed as oneof the hardwares but would not move. I restarted the computer and it went away again. I know that it's notbeing recognized by the system, but I have no idea why.

Check out my website at:

A COMPAQ computer?

They are notorious, but other motherboards have the same problem. The PS/2 connector is bound to the motherboard with tiny tracings and the cord on the mouse creates a slight pressure that eventually breaks one of the connector points to motherboard tracings.

In the COMPAQ case the only repair is to replace the motherboard.

ack that sux. the motherboard is only a few months old though, how could the connection have worn out so quickly?

Anyhow, i managed to get a serial mouse, pluged it into COM1, restarted the computer, and the system is not detecting that either. How in the world do I set up the serial mouse then? any suggestions?

Check out my website at:

Go to the BIOS and clear it to its default settings. This is sometimes called clearing the ECD data. (This does not do a full reset cleaning, just the extended data portion of the BIOS you cannot see).

hmm, I tried that and it did not work. Anyhow, I went out and bought a USB mouse and things are fine now. Thanks for all your help everyone!

-- Ginger

Check out my website at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back