Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PS/2 mouse on serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullshoot

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I have a system that had been using a ps/2 mouse with one of the little adaptors to hook it to the serial port. Problem is, it just stopped seeing the mouse. i can hook a regular serial mouse to the port and it is fine. I have tryed a different ps/2 mouse as well as a different adaptor.
I have also tryed changing drivers which didnt help. This system is a 486dx4 running win95.
Anyone got any ideas????????
thanks in advance
wpashe@citcom.net

Look in BIOS setup, for "PS2 mouse support", and enable it. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks jim,
but i had already looked and there is nothing about the mouse in my 1995 bios.
What i cant unsderstand is that it was working and then it is not working. But i have seen stuff like this happen before. one day things work, next day, it doesnt.
Ain't puters wunderful!!!!

You might try getting a bios update from your motherboard manufacturer's site. I'm also having this problem, but unfortunatly my manufaturer doesn't have a flash for my bios, so I guess i'm just SOL. Hope you have more luck with yours. If they don't have one and you figure out how to get it working i would appreciate you telling me how.

As a first step, try cleaning the ball and the rollers inside the mouse. Check that there aren't any switches that have inadvertantly been moved on the base or back of the mouse etc. See that the pins on the PS/2 connector are clean and none bent etc. If you have something like CHECKIT, then you can boot to DOS and check the mouse at the DOS level (you've need a DOS mouse driver loaded to do this). Can you plug your mouse into a friend's machine which uses a PS/2 port thereby removing the adaptor from the equation? (Don't forget, it's best to switched off PC before you plug a mouse into the PS/2 port).

I'd suggest if you still can't get it working, either one of the I.C.s inside the mouse has got blown, or the cable has a broken wire through fatigue.

Failing that, buy a new mouse.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back