Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy Settings using GPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRPGroup

MIS
Jun 22, 2005
CA
We have a Win2003 server and all XP Pro clients. I am testing a HTTP gateway server and want all my workstations to use this server for all Internet traffic.

There is a few IE GPO setting I can use a GPO to change their proxy settings but how do I allow laptops to function normally when out of the office.

I have found User and Computer GPO settings and I am not sure if we should be applying it at the machine or user level..??

any suggestions..??

In a quick check of GPO settings, I found nothing... Microsoft says this...

Unfortunately the most informative thing I got to was the statement that

"With the appropriate settings, DHCP and DNS servers can automatically detect and configure a browser's settings. DHCP server must support the DHCPINFORM message; otherwise, use DNS. For details about setting up a DHCP or DNS server for automatic detection of browser settings, see "Setting Up Servers" in this Resource Kit."

God forbid they link you to that.

I did find it here though...

Sounds like you've got to get the MSIE Resource Kit and create files for auto-config of the browser, and have a webserver that you point the clients to through dhcp.

Who knows why they can't just make it a GPO setting. You'd think that MSIE is integral to the system or something and they don't want people arbitrarily changing thaings that should really only imact the web browser unless it is done at a really low level like DHCP. :)

In my browsing of GPOs though, I did find these...

One important setting...

Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer
Disable changing proxy settings

Does a big of good once they're set... This might help, too...

Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer
Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per-user)

Good luck!

There is a GPO setting to configure a proxy server on all machines. That's how I have my workstations configured.

Using GPMC, create or edit an existing policy. Drill to Users - Internet Explorer Maintenance - Connections - Proxy Settings. Enter the address of the proxy and once the workstations have the updated policy, it should be configured properly. Check this section out well. You can configure more settings within Internet Explorer

Justin

Disregard that post, I didn't read everything clearly. Just an FYI, using that method, when I leave the office, I am still able to remove the proxy setting and once I return, the policy returns the settings of the proxy config I have setup

I wish I'd opened GPMSC and looked. Sure nuff, it is right there. That makes me second-guess my big Excel sheet of GPO settings downloaded directly from Microsoft.

Thanks for the posts... I have read MS links from compuveg and MS is a bit vaige. I am having trouble determining which option if any will work for me.

All I am tring to do is force all computers to go threw our work proxy server when on our network and then allow the same compupters (laptops) to access the Internet threw their normal means when off our company network.

As for the DHCP/DNS option...
If I was to use the DHCP or DNS option, what will happen to a laptop user when he plugs into a dif network with a dif DHCP server. Will the proxy settings blank out.. eg at their home..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back