Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

proxy server time outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtcostello

Technical User
Oct 17, 2002
US
We are running Microsoft NT 4 with proxy server 2.0 on a dial-up connection. Lately we are unable to access the internet; the line is connected, but the proxy server gives various error messages i.e. time-out, software....; if I keep disconnecting and then re-dialing it eventually works, but then will happen continuously throughout the day. Sometimes I need to re-dial as many as 25 times. Any suggestions? I've been trying to get info from Microsoft, but so far have not been successful. Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance.

I had some difficulty with my Proxy 2.0 running on NT 4 also. It was back a bit in time when Code Red and denial of service attacks were prevalent.

Messages in Event Viewer weren't particularly helpful I recall. My modem would connect and authenticate and then just drop the connection.

To fix my problem I applied a Hotfix supplied by MS but first I had to apply NT Service Pack 6 before the Hotfix would install.

I still sometimes have disconnect problems which I resolve by stopping the web and socks in services and also stop the default web etc in the Management snap-in and then re-start the services and then the webs in the Snap-in. It saves a reboot and redialing. However since the hotfix errors happen infrequently.

Since MS isn't supporting Proxy II anymore. If you can't find the hotfix I'm sure I have the download somewhere on my server. Send me an email and I'll forward it to you cgilham@bossinc.com

It sounds as if you're fairly certain it's a software issue, but here's a couple of hardware things you might check.

Could there be 'noise' on the line that is causing the problem? Try listening to the line with a handset to see if you can hear anything. Some modems don't retrain well when phone signal degrades.

Try adding S10=100 and S25=100 to the modem initialization string. If you're using an external modem the serial port must be driven by a 16550 UART as opposed to an 8250 UART chip. 8250 chips are not reliable above 9600 baud. If telephone signal has altered recently this too could be causing your troubles. Check with the phone company and ask them to check your line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back