Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy server settings and mail distribution using OE

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinsdale

Programmer
Jun 5, 2001
AU
Hi,
I hope I'm in the right forum... purchased AllegroSurf Voyager - Network and installed it on a 6 user network.

I wish to have my mail go only to my computer (which acts as the 'server') and my wife's mail go only to hers. I'm sure there must be a way to do this.

Our internet provider is Bigpond.com - we are on cable. The topology (is that the right word??) is:

Cable line --> cable modem --> 'server' modem 1st NIC.
'Server' 2nd NIC --> hub ___ 2nd PC
\ \___ 3rd PC
\____ 4th PC etc

I carefully followed the instructions on the Helpdesk page under the section with the header: "Configure AllegroSurf for Your Network". The 'server' system - the one with the two NICs - has the AllegroSurf Network software installed on it with the following settings in the POP3 Proxy Server dialog:
=========================================
In the General tab, the port is set to 110. In the POP3 tab, the "Send non-proxy requests through" box is ticked, and the server is pop-server, which was designated by Bigpond, with the port set to 110.

In the Binding tab, the "Allow connections from ONLY this IP address (interface)" radio button is ticked, with 192.168.0.1 entered.

Under Users I have the following:
Robyn is actually the user on the 'server' computer named Robin350.

The POP server at Bigpond is called pop-server. The following is what our ISP (Bigpond) required as settings in OE:
Incoming mail(pop3): pop-server
Out-going mail(SMTP): mail-hub
The account name for the incoming Mail Server was our Bigpond Account name:
OurName@bigpond.net.au
These settings have been modified to be as follows:
Incoming mail(pop3): 192.168.0.1
Out-going mail(SMTP): 192.168.0.1
Tech support at AllegroSurf recommended that I enter the following for the account name for the incoming Mail Server for my system:
OurName@bigpond.net.au#pop-server

This is how I interpreted the instructions from the Helpdesk webpage which read:
2. Change the POP3 and SMTP server names to the IP Address of your AllegroSurf server. Make sure to also change the Port numbers to the corresponding ones you gave AllegroSurf.

3. Your username must also be modified. At the end of your user name, enter a '#' (the delimiter character specified in the AllegroSurf Proxy Server POP3 Proxy setup) followed by your ISP's mail server (i.e. "mail.yourisp.com").

Did I get the instructions wrong there?

The network settings are configured for two NICs, one to connect to the cable modem and one to the hub. The network has been working flawlessly (well, mostly - my system seems to pause a bit before bringing up the Network Neighborhood).
The Realtek NIC hold the TCP/IP properties:
IP address 192.168.0.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
WINS resolution: disabled
No Gateway[/b]
DNS disabled

On the 'client' systems, the settings are similar to:
IP address 192.168.0.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS enabled[/b] - Host Robin350, with DNS search order containing 192.168.0.1

The Linksys TCP/IP settings are:
all blank for IP address and subnet mask
No Gateway
DNS disabled

I hope I have given enough information (some would say too much??) to get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,
Robyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back