Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy Server for a single website

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProxyProxy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2011
US
There is a subscription website which allows access only from one IP address. Now, since I would like to connect to it from various locations (obvioulsy different IP addresses), I would like to set up a proxy server on my home computer such that whenever I want to view this website from outside, I will connect to my home proxy only for that website (I don't want the other websites that I visit when I am outside to go through the home proxy).

How can I best achieve this solution.

If you have a laptop/netbook that you travel with, and that is what you're going to use for Internet access while traveling, then all you need to do is:

1) Setup your proxy server on your home PC
2) Edit your "hosts" file and create an entry for the website you want to access via your home proxy, but instead of using its IP address, use your home PC's IP address (or your router's, if your PC is on a private network)

If you don't want to make a DNS entry, can't you just surf to your home PC over a specific port that the proxy is listening on, and pass your proxy the website you want it to fetch for you by putting it in the URL you use to access your proxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back