Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proxy 2, Win 2KS and VPN access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludbunny

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2002
AU
Hi all

I have been trying to setup a VPN across the net using the standard windows 2000 server RRAS setup, and connecting with Win XP pro. I have setup the server with RRAS with default settings, and have setup using the wizard in XP the remote connection (across an ADSL connection).

With the Proxy 2.0 ip filtering on, they cannot connect - switch off IP filtering, and they get in easily. This is not the best way but -as you may guess - basically dropping the firewall to allow users and connect from outside!

Is there a certain port - or range of ports that need to be securely opened to allow VPN?

I am new to this - any help would be appreciated.

cheers,
Brett

If you have a Router or Firewall in front of the VPN Server PC, you will need to forward certain ports to the IP address of that PC.

L2TP is UDP Port 1701
PPtP is TCP Port 1723
IPSec (IKE) is UDP Port 500

For other proprietary VPNs, you will need to consult the relevant application's help or FAQs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back